2008 - Age of Awakening / 2016 - Age of disclosures / 2021 - Age of Making Choices & Separation / Next Stage - Age of Reconnection! Heretic

Friday, June 26, 2015

After 9 years on statins - 2.5 times more diabetes with complications!

.
Found and published in this recent study titled: Statins and New-Onset Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetic Complications: A Retrospective Cohort Study of US Healthy Adults..

Quote:

A total of 25,970 patients (3982 statin users and 21,988 nonusers) were identified as healthy adults at baseline. Of these, 3351 statins users and 3351 nonusers were propensity score-matched. Statin users had higher odds of new-onset diabetes (odds ratio [OR] 1.87; 95 % confidence interval [95 % CI] 1.67-2.01), diabetes with complications (OR 2.50; 95 % CI 1.88-3.32), and overweight/obesity (OR 1.14; 95 % CI 1.04-1.25). Secondary and sensitivity analyses demonstrated similar findings.


From Wiki

A summary of the study is also published on the Daily Reckoning site under the title: New Concern About Cholesterol Drugs and Diabetes.  Unfortunately, at the end of the abstract, the authors are promoting another non-statin replacement toxins drugs that have not yet been found to kill patients.
.


3 comments :

John said...

...Seems about right. A few weeks ago my mom called me, worried about her "high cholesterol" of 80 +130. She needs a statin asap.

I'm actually interested in my own labs, since I haven't been tested in a few years, and my diet has been high in coconut fat. My TSH was higher than [probably] optimal at 1.5, but I've since increased seafood/iodine intake, which might be a factor.

Stan Bleszynski said...

Did you notice how enthusiastically did the (second) article talk about the new class of non-statin cholesterol reducing toxins? It feels like the drug industry are prepared to ditch the discredited and thus soon to be un-saleable statins in favor of some new useless revenue-spinner!

If your TSH is borderline high I would first adjust the diet to about 30-80g in total daily glycemic load, with mostly animal (non-plant) based produce, to bring it back towards the natural human optimum. Give it a few months and if then your TSH is still too high, then consider other supplements.
Best regards,
Stan

John said...

I guess if too many doctors start to catch on--could be a while still--they'll have to come up with something "even better."

Well, that was about three years, and my diet is different. I've been lower carb, especially for my activity level, for the last few years (though I was still somewhat low before). Also, I used to get most of my fat from beef and butter/dairy, whereas now a lot comes from coconut. I also consume more seafood. Anyway, yes, I'll get some labs soon.